Ringworm is also called as dermatophytosis, which is a fungal infection that affect that affects skin on the body (Tinea corporis), scalp (Tinea capitis), groin area (Tinea cruris, also called jock itch), or feet (Tinea pedis). This disease is named after the ring type of rash that developed on the skin of infected person or animal. The disease has no correlation with worms.
In the beginning days doctors believed that it is caused by worms and hence it has name ringworm.
1800’s- Ringworm was highly contagious and little known that it is contagious. It is common in poor people who having poor diet and bad hygiene. During this time barbers were able to spread through infected person to another healthy person. It is because of low sanitation in razors and scissors.
1843- David Gruby described a fungus that causes certain ringworm.
1940- Studies started when the United States Military began contracting ringworm while stationed in the South Pacific during World War II.
In the 20th century, London had many special “ringworm” schools where schoolchildren would be brought to keep from getting Ringworm. Students were treated with x-ray therapy that helped ward off the infection. Although the x-rays helped to kill the fungus, the exposure became highly toxic.
Types of ringworm
- Ringworm of the scalp (tinea capitis) frequently begins as little bruises that form into irritated, flaky uncovered patches. It is most regular among youngsters.
- Ringworm of the body (tinea corporis) frequently shows up as patches with the round “ring” shape.
- Jock itch (tinea cruris) alludes to ringworm disease of the skin around the crotch, internal thighs, and rump. It is most basic in men and immature young men.
- Athlete’s foot (tinea pedis) is the name for ringworm disease of the foot. It is usually found in individuals who go shoeless in public places where the disease can spread, for example, locker rooms, showers, and swimming pools.
Multiple forms of ringworm that affects different body parts
Transmission of ringworm
Ringworm can be transmitted in an indirect way by contact with items such as hair brushes, combs, stylist scissors, apparel that has defiled hair on it, and from benches and shower stalls utilized by an infected person. The fungi which cause ringworm can be transmitted by direct contact with infected person or with contaminated pets and domesticated animals.
Risk factors for ringworm in body include:
- Living in mild hot weather
- Having contact with the ringworm affected person
- Using others clothes, bedspreads and towels who have a fungal infection
- Skin to skin touch during sports activity
- Wearing prohibitive and tight clothing’s
- Low immune system will pay the way for ringworm infection
Fungi’s is the main cause of ringworm infection. There are three different types of fungi which causes this infection such as Trichophyton, Microsporum, and Epidermophyton. These fungi are possible to live in soil as spores. These spores can be spread in many different ways as follows
Human to human– Direct skin touches with the infected person.
Animal to human– Ringworm often spreads from animals like pet dogs, cats and adequately from cows. This is due to during petting and grooming animals.
Object to human– Ringworm infection will also spread from the objects which are recently used by infected persons such as clothes, combs, bedspreads and brushes
Human to soil contact- In erratic cases, infection can spread from the soil. Frequent infection occurs when it is contacted for long term with highly infected soil.
Symptoms of Ringworm
Depending on the place of infection the symptoms will vary.
- Red, itchy, scaly, or raised patches
- Rashes that develop blisters or begin to ooze
- Patches that may be redder on the outside edges or resemble a ring
- Rashes with edges that are clear and raised
The rashes can be varied based on the type of fungus that causes the infection. Sometimes it looks like other skin rashes as psoriasis.
Diagnosis and test
Diagnosing of ringworm is carried out by examining the external skin appearance and by using a black light to view infected skin area. When this black light spotted on infected area the fluorescence will glow from the area which is infected with fungi.
Your doctor will confirm the ringworm infection by doing tests and diagnosing
- Skin biopsy or fungal culture has been taken and send it to a lab test to find the presence of fungus
- If you are going to do KOH exam, the doctor will scrape small area of the infected skin and put it in potassium hydroxide. This KOH will destroy normal cells and leave fungal cells, then it is easy to identify under microscope
Treatment and medications
- Medication will vary depending upon the severity of infection. Topical medications such as antifungal creams, ointments, gels and spray are used for jock itch, athlete’s foot and ringworm of the body.
- Over-the-counter medications and antifungal skin creams may be recommended for use as well. Over-the-counter products may contain clotrimazole, miconazole, terbinafine, or other related ingredients.
- Micatin, Tinactin, Monistat, Lotrimin, Bentax, Butop (India) and Lamisil are the brand names of medicine which is used for ringworm treatment.
If the infection is not treatment, then blisters and cracks may form in the infected area and it may infect with germs. In this condition antibiotics are advised for treatment.
- Boil 10-15 Neem leaves in 3 cups of water until half the water gets evaporated. Wash the tinea lesions with this water.
- Rub papaya over the tinea lesions. It is very effective.
- Add little milk in turmeric and apply this mixture on tinea lesions. Wash away after half an hour. Do this 3 / 4 times a day.
Prevention of Ringworm
- Make your skin always dry and clean. Change and clean your socks and underwear daily
- Avoid tight fit clothing’s such as underwear and pants. Wear loose clothing’s
- After bathing always dry your skin completely and allow your skin to air dry before wearing cloths
- Doesn’t share clothing’s such as towels, bed sheets and sports things. Wash your cloth in hot water with fungicidal soaps or powders
- Wear slippers or sandals during showering in public bathing
- After sports activity, bath completely
- In case person is infected with athlete’s foot, wear socks first before your underwear so that infection will not spread to your groin area and also after showering toweling off your feet last
- Pet animals in living area should be checked if it has missing hairs on the body which is the sign of ringworm infection
which medicines and creams are used to cure ring worm
Medicines and cream names are included in the treatment section. check in the post itself.
Good to know
please is there any injection for ringworm infestation?
Ring worm is best treated with topical applications of creams. injections are not recommended.
contact with me plzz i have many questions
Sure. You are welcome to put your queries in this blog
please help me out of this fungal since many years ago how are my going to use the mustard seed for the fungal to work faster for me
Better use anti fungal medicines which is updated in the post.
Big thanks to any of the Doctor for advice
given some point for home remedial treatment like Ayurveda
Sure we will give some remedial points on Ayurveda treatment.
given home remedial treatments point’s and also give drug dosage and side effects
We will upload your requests shortly in the post.
thanks for sharing important information about ringworm or dermatophytosis
Please apart from the topical treatment, can one use griseofulvin tabs or Keteconazole tabs to treat ring worm?
Yes, people with ringworm can use such tablets if the disease affects the nails, rather than the skin.
Which type of injection dat will u given
Ring worm is best treated with topical applications of creams. injections are not recommended.
thanks a lot so much informative
there are many thing which i get from this
tab. fliconazole150mg 1tab. weekly for month.
And oint. Dipsilc “or” betasalic appling on affected area, seems to be very effective
The length of treatment with this tablet will also depend on the type and severity of the infection. So please consult with the doctor once.
this can harm ur immune system, it need to control fast
what advice will l give to people to state away from this disease as a nurse?
Please follow the preventive measures that are given in this post.
i am taking tebinafine and levocitrazine tablets from last 20 days but i get no result and ringworm is still itching can you help me for this
Consult with your doctor to overcome such problems. Because sometimes low dosage of drugs do not treat the disease well.
home remedy very interesting.
tell me about the most effective cream,powder and medicine for fungal infection
Please look into the post for medications in treatment sections.
Very good information. thanks
dear sir I am suffering from ring worm since four year.. and also take many types of treatment but after treatment my ring worm again attack on me…. what I do please suggest….?
Try natural treatments like homeopathy, Ayurveda, and some home remedies. First, try the home remedy given in the post. If this condition persists even after the home remedies then hire a help from a dermatologist.
Ringworm would disappear on their own within several months, but they can become chronic. Ringworm symptoms usually disappear quickly with treatment, but the treatment should be continued for two to four weeks to eliminate all of the fungus.
micatin , tinactin , lotrimin , monistat , bentax and butop are the medicine name for ringworm.
is it available in all medical store .
I am facing this problem from last 2 monts ..I can’t relieve from this .
please help me sir
Please follow the home remedies given in the post. If you suffer even after these home remedies then please consult a good doctor to cure.
How can someone treat warts infection?
1. Liquid nitrogen to freeze the wart off.
2. Prescription-strength salicylic acid applied at home to get rid of the wart.
3. Laser or surgery to cut the wart off.
4. Topical immune system stimulants such as squaric acid, which is applied to the skin for several weeks to help fight the virus that causes the wart.
ringworm for long time on the body
Use antibiotics listed on the post with the help from a health care practitioner.
which cream is ringworm pz telme
What is the time period of the diseases ring worm
The incubation period ranges from about four to 14 days and, depending upon what part of the body’s infected.
thanks for your help, I’m affected with fungal which seems chronic and My comes with severe itching especially on the scrotum and groin areas. what drugs do you prescribe for this severe itching please.
please consult a doctor
sir four month ring worm problem doctor see no result please tabs and cream
please see the treatment and medications which is given in the post. consult a good doctor.
where can I get neem leaves
you can get it from your local area market or you can place an order through online shopping websites.
I’ve this rashes from my chest and down my pelvic areas and and it’s been distIrving I’ve use different cream and drugs but no results yet.
Please follow some natural medicines.
Hello, I have this fungal rashes first start from rashes on my penis head and later spreads reddish rashes on my both thighs and also rashes on my fingers and in between my fingers. I have been taking anti fungal pills for weeks now which reduced the rashes but it’s still coming out and itches alot
please consult a doctor. you have to be clean even when you take tablets for this problem.
which antibiotics useful in fungal infection.
Please read in the medication part of the post.
well cutiron is the best ointment to cure someone with fungal infection. plzzz help me is it right to use.
please consult a doctor before using this medicine.
I have had this probably a month are more have been too Dr. it’s on my stomach nothing works what can I do DR.SAID IT WAS A RINGWORM PLEASE HELP THANK YOU
Please follow the treatment given in the post.
I also going through this problem..but now my condition is under control many place are clear from this ringworm..I tried many medicine now I colabarate all and this give me good result..if any one have this problem.first use saylicylic acid..we called sapat losen,only one or two time when condition is worst.daily ltroconozole 200mg tablet once and use sertaconozole cream it is good for ringworm..try this.
I have chronic ringworms when apply gel it goes later it comes back what medication can I use
Please consult a doctor.
you are sharing great content regarding ringworm on your article. thank you for sharing this information with us.
Hello sir, I’m suffering from Jock itch since many months around a year or more than it. plez! help me out from this.
Please consult a doctor as soon as possible.
it’s been more than a year, been suffering from tinea, it started when I fractured my leg during summers.
consulted top doctors of Odisha, n still helpless.
one of my friend recommending me for IT MAC 200, Shall I go for this?
Please consult a doctor for a proper prescription.
should take itraconazole-200mg ,one tablet daily for a month.
Oral itraconazole in doses of 100 mg/d for 2 weeks shows high efficacy. With an increased dose of 200 mg/d, the treatment duration can be reduced to 1 week.
Note: Please consult a doctor before taking this drug.
i have this problem for years.i used types of prescribed medicines from doc no result till now
Please consult a doctor to get rid of this problem.
i have this fungal attack in my buttocks for years….i have treated with many medicines prescribed by doctors but no result……any cure please tell me
Please consult a doctor to get rid of this problem.
Please I want to know more about the pawpaw treatment for ring worm.
You can use raw papaya to treat ringworm. You can either rub some cuts of papaya directly to it or you can make a paste out of the dried papaya seeds to apply on the ringworm.
Thank you for explaining that a black light is used to see if the infected area will glow to determine there is ringworm. A benefit of doing this at an urgent care or doctor’s would be that they’d be able to start prescribing treatments right then. I’ll have to look into pediatric urgent care to learn more about ringworms.
please can fulcin be used for the treatment of ringworm?
Yes, it can be used to treat ringworm. However please consult a doctor before you take a drug on your own.
I need the name of the pils
Terbinafine. If your doctor puts you on these tablets, you’ll have to take them once a day for 4 weeks.
which kind of cream and medicine used to cure this disease
is cetrizen salt is helpful in treatment of fungal infection
Yes, it can be used to treat fungal infections.
this ringworm has been on my skin 12yrs will this work ? and some of these items are not seen in my area what should I do?
Please get the biosimilar medicines that are available in your locality.
is there any use of tabs to treat ring worms
Griseofulvin (Grifulvin V, Gris-PEG), Terbinafine, and Itraconazole are the oral medicines doctors prescribe most often for ringworm.
which medicines and cream are used to cure ringworm
Some examples of antifungal medications for treating ringworm on the skin include: Lotrimin cream, Cruex spray powder, Mycelex, Pedesil (clotrimazole) Desenex topical powder, Fungoid cream, Micatin cream, Lotrimin AF athlete’s foot spray or powder,
Your tips and education on this subject matter is 100% correct. Now I think I can handle my long time athlete foot. Thanks
Ringworm best medicine?
Griseofulvin (Grifulvin V, Gris-PEG), Terbinafine, and Itraconazole are the oral medicines doctors prescribe most often for ringworm. Terbinafine. If your doctor puts you on these tablets, you’ll have to take them once a day for 4 weeks.
I am having ring worm . please suggest me some medicine
Please find the medicine names from the treatment section of the post.
sir there is any kind of tablets for infection
Oral treatments include azoles such as fluconazole (Diflucan), allylamines such as terbinafine (Lamisil), and griseofulvin (Grifulvin V).